We’ve all heard it “You should be coaching your staff”. Then you walk away agreeing and thinking “I barely have time to do my own work never mind coach and do the work of my staff.” Agreed.
- You tell them what to do – and they leave feeling dejected. Because they already know what to do. Or they feel you don’t understand their need; or worse they keep coming back and asking what to do next-then complain that you are micro-managing the work.
- You ask them the 4 questions below – and they leave feeling supported and confused and with a next step. Once that next step in taken, if they come back, ask the same 4 questions…eventually (because you are a great manager) they will start asking the questions themselves and get the work done.
By the way – asking yourself the 4 questions below will also keep you from running to your manager and then feeling like he is micromanaging everything.
On to the Inquiry:
What is your next step and when can we go-and-see?
- What is your next step?
- If you were one step closer to the goal, how would you know?
- In the past with the success you have already had, what could you go-and-see that showed that you are progressing?
- What is your next step? When can we go-and-see?
Try it and let us know what happens.