I haven’t shared a Leadership Development Agenda post in a while.
Below is an opening retreat agenda for Leadership Niagara.
For you Leadership Development geeks – What do you think of the agenda? What would you have done the same / different?
Above is my white board planning for the 2 day Leadership Development Retreat.
Leadership Niagara Opening Retreat Agenda
Internal Use for LN staff and facilitators
- Where: Sheraton-at-the-Falls, Niagara Falls
- Who: LN Class of 2016
- Kick-off for Leadership Niagara Class of 2016
- Orient LN class members to Leadership Niagara and the year to come
- What am I doing here? What are you doing here? Develop individual and LN 2016 orientation, purpose, team identity, membership
- Who are you? How will you support me to achieve my goals? Develop individual and LN 2016 trust, mutual regard, forthrightness, reliability
- What are we doing here? How will we support each other to achieve our goals? (Begin) to develop LN 2016 individual and shared goals, craft explicit assumptions, clear integrated goals, shared and known vision for 2016
Note – Attire is business casual. Spouses/partners are invited to attend the cocktail party at 6:00 pm.
Set up night before
- 8 round tables
- 1 flip-chart per/table
- Piles of markers on each table
- Pile of POY and Value cards on each table
- Piles of post-it notes on each table
- Detail Data Opening sheets on table – opening slides asks LN to complete sheet and be prepared to begin at 8:00am
- Flip-chart paper (or rolled butcher paper) lining a back wall
- Fleeces, pad folios, nametags, and table tent cards on each table
|7:15-7:55||Arrive for breakfast|
|8:00-8:20||Welcome by Molly Anderson, President & CEO
|8:20-8:50||Opening Activity with Dr. Nancy Askins LN ‘04 and Mike Cardus, Principal Consultant
8 Table Groups
Detail Data opening
Leaders create the environment to support decision making and problem solving
Current knowledge – Observer progress – Class support
Each LN will place post-it notes within the categories above in the following sequence:
Walk the wall we added information to and read what others wrote
Shuffle table groups … new people to new tables
|1:00-2:45||Dr. Nancy Askins, LN ‘04
Enhancing Your Personal Style (DiSC Personal Style Profile)
|3:00-3:30||LN Alumni Panel Discussion
Making the Most of Your Year with Leadership Niagara
Leadership is a process. There is no such thing as a detached, free-standing leader-follower role relationship. There can be no purpose setting a leadership role per se: Lead who, where, why? Get everybody going in what direction? For what purpose? (Clement 1994)
Check in with the LN class
|6:00-6:30||Guests Arrive/Cocktail Reception (Cash bar)
Spouses and significant others welcome for cocktails and overnight stay
Mixer with LN Alumni and Board of Directors
|8:00-8:15||Molly Anderson & Tasha Villani, LN ‘11
Morning engagement activity
|8:30-9:30||Dr. Nancy Askins
Regional Assets Exercise
Mike will explain the class’s 1st field assignment.
Distinctive : Working Well : 6 months better
Coaching Teams (people self-select teams of 3)
Return to Current knowledge – Observer progress – Class support
Useful and Applications from the 2 days ….
Each table will be asked to make 2 columns on flip chart paper:
|11:30-12:00||Closing remarks and next steps..|
I’ll share some images and feedback from the Leadership Development retreat soon.