- motivate the students
- share advice on being a leader and working in teams
- encourage the students to use the university resources and mentors
In preparation, I wondered, “What could someone have told my 18-year-old freshman self that would have made a difference?” I kept coming up with the same answer, nothing.
Starting college is tough at any age, having foundational knowledge sufficient to learn what you don’t know and figure out a process to close that gap while allowing what you do know to continue improving, may help.
Using solution-focused leadership helped frame the talk into:
- What’s gone well today?
- Since arriving on campus what have I accomplished that makes me proud?
- What have I done to help or support another person?
- How can I do more of what’s working for me to be successful? _