CP + V + SK + Wi + (-T) = CAC
Complexity Processing + Values + Skilled Knowledge + Wisdom + (-T) the absence of serious personality (temperament) defects = Current Actual Capability. (Jaques 1994)
I have been updating notes, slides, and content to prepare for Mastering Organizational Complexity.
The formula above is the backbone of determining the proper people with the appropriate competencies (right now) for any position within an organization.
Below are definitions and links to more information about each component to determine a person’s ‘Current Actual Capacity.’’
The mental processes a person can organize information to make it available for doing work.
- Complexity of the Work and the Person. Match the two Magic Happens
- Is Your Leadership & Work Matched to Capability; How do you know?
- Complexity and Achieving Goals at Work
- 9 Indicators That a Manager is NOT Able to Handle the Complexity of the Work
At the core of what has been called motivation is to value something. If we value something, we will go after it.
- If You Value Something, You Are Motivated To Pursue It
- How do you determine what someone values about their work? ASK THEM!
- How Does the Relevancy of your work affect Productivity?
- Are personality profiles effective for determining employee competencies?
Knowledge refers to all forms of articulated ideas: words, formulae, models, designs, mathematics, and all other symbols which we can use to communicate to one another about the world (Jaques 1998)
- Decision Making & Uncertainty of Work. How you Handle, it is What Makes you Money.
- Leadership is Exercised through Competency: Demystification of Leadership
- Personal Mastery to Continuous Improvement
- Charisma is NOT a replacement for Competence
Wisdom has to do with the soundness of a person’s judgment about the world’s ways, what people are like, and how they are likely to react. (Jaques 1989)
- Wisdom is Learning From Experience. How do you evaluate the experience?
- 10 Misconceptions About People At Work
- Expectations + Capabilities = Judgment
- Trust Attracting vs. Trust Repelling Workplaces
Absence of a Negative Temperament (-T)
The absence of any serious behavior and personality defects that may be deleterious to be effective in the role.
- Effective Leaders are Alike-They Know the Limit
- They Can’t Be Crazy! Plus 4 other necessary qualities of managerial leaders.
- What are the Purposes of Managerial Coaching?
- Hey…Jerk-Face, STOP interrupting me!
- Resistance / Cooperation with Teams and Leadership Arises Through Perception
What do you think?
Is the formula above sufficient to match the role’s work and the person’s capacity to fill that role? What methods/formulas do you use and know of for ensuring that the person can do the work?