A Leadership Coaching Process works when a there is a combination of
- organizational support from management and peers, ensuring that you can learn and apply changes in an environment that welcome learning and change;
- competency and knowledge of the work you are accountable to complete;
- the value you place on the work, our coaching work together, and your perceived value of the organization;
- existing skills and knowledge;
- evidence that you have gained wisdom from your experiences and expertise;
- a lack of severe behavior or temperament that needs serious psychological help.
The six things above are enough to make progress.
When we are in a Leadership Coaching conversation, there are some common questions and processes used, below is a process I call ‘Current, Need to be, Next Step.’
Current, Need to be, Next Step – Leadership Coaching Process
Following an initial meeting and some data gathering, possibly from interviews with those you impact and a 360-Leadership Assessment, we will make progress in the following way.
- Based upon our discussion to this point, the feedback data we discussed, and you read, what is one area of your leadership you want to make progress on?
- On a scale of 1 – 10 with 10 being you are the best in this area and 1 being the opposite; where are you currently?
- What are some examples that place you at the current number you chose? How would others notice your current progress?
Need to be
- Thinking about the leadership area you want to make progress on, on the same scale of 1 – 10 with 10 being you are the best in this area and 1 being the opposite; how good do you need to be to know that you are making a difference?
- Looking at your current number X and your need to be X how will you be different when something changes? Who will notice the differences first? What will they notice?
- Share one Personal behavior you can develop to sustain progress
- Share one Professional behavior you can develop to sustain progress
- Share one Team behavior you can develop to sustain progress
Between now and our next meeting take 15 to 30 minutes and complete the form below:
- In the follow-up meeting review the document and support your progress.
Create a process that is built upon daily habits of increasing what is working and decreasing what is not working to achieve your goals.