Consulting & coaching a company to develop an internal Talent Pool Development & Mentoring Process. We were when the people who lead this process have 1 on 1 meetings with staff. I received an email & phone call with an urgent tone, “Mike, what do I ask people in our 1st coaching meeting?’
After 12 months of working with this internal Talent Pool Development Team, I did not prepare them with the starting tool for asking questions in the initial meetings. I quickly made a list below and emailed it off to them. They found it helpful to start the conversation, and I hope you also do.
Possible 1st meeting questions.
- What is your role in the company?
- How long have you been here?
- Share (1 to 3) goals that you are currently tasked to accomplish?
- What is your day like?
- How did you get to your current role in the company?
- What is distinctive (or special) about what you do?
- What is the most complicated (or complex) part of your role?
- What is the longest goal or objective you have accomplished within the company? (days, months, years, decades)
- How often do you meet with your team? What are those meetings like?
- How often do you meet with your direct manager? What are those meetings like?
- Who defines goals/objectives for your work?
- Who adds the most value to you personally to make decisions & solve problems you have never experienced before?
- Do your goals align with the company’s strategic plan? Are you aware of the company’s strategic plan? How often is the strategic plan reviewed with staff?
- List 3 things that are working well (do not need any changes).
- List 3 things that are not working well (need immediate change).
- As the company currently stands, we have the people, processes, and products to be sustainable for the next 10 years. 0 (not at all) —— 10 (absolutely) What evidence do you have to support your response?
- Currently, my most pressing challenge is _____________.
- I will know this process is helpful when _______________.
- What would it be if I could fix/change/improve/ just 1 thing for you personally within the company? When that thing is fixed, what will you notice is different or better?
- In the past, when working on team projects, I gained the most value from the team when ________________________________________.
- In the past 2 years, my team or I have gone through a major change. 0 (not at all) —– 10 (absolutely) Briefly describe the change.
- What can I do to support your work?