Are you feeling stuck and you want to make some change?
During challenges where we feel a lack of control and autonomy, stress, and feelings of despair are common. I was talking with a manager, Amy, on a coaching meeting, and Amy shared that she feels overwhelmed and is unsure how to break out of her rut.
Amy and I sat on our virtual-meeting for a minute, and then we worked through the following coaching process. Below are my examples, and this is a natural process that can supply you with some progress steps:
More of Less of Prioritization Process with Progress Steps
Walk yourself through:
- It is one year from today, and you are looking back at how you spent your Time; what do you wish you had spent more time doing? What do you wish you had spent less time doing?
- Write the More Time Doing, and Less Time Doing – responses in columns or on sticky-notes.
- Draw 3 radiating circles. The Center circle label – Very Important; middle circle – Important; outer circle – Less Important.
- You can move the sticky-notes or transcribe your More Time Doing – to the top half of the circle. You are thinking through what is – Very Important to Less Important to you.
- You can move the sticky-notes or transcribe your Less Time Doing – to the bottom half of the circle. You are thinking through what is – Very Important to Less Important to you.
- Breathe and look at what you framed – what is already different? What supported your progress to get this far?
When, Then, For – your path to progress
From your More Time Doing and Less Time Doing responses, make short When, Then, For statements.
- When – stuff you want to do less of happens;
- Then – things you want to do more of;
- For – some amount of time
The last piece of – When, Then, For time – might be the most useful step. When you feel a loss of control, you can create heuristics or actions to work with the complexity and ambiguity to make small progress-steps and reinforce your skills.
The process can apply to you and your team. We can go through a similar coaching and development process with your team.
The process of choosing a time and looking backward to define what you want to Do More Of, and Do Less Of – then – creating action steps will create a better feeling of control and support your progress to change.