Having coffee with a friend who manages a large manufacturing operation, he is frustrated at the lack of desire for people to learn and improve.
He wants a way to enforce development.
- People can only do their best.
- It’s his job to create a trust-attracting environment for best to happen.
- If you want to solve someone’s problem more than they want to solve it, you are enlarging the problem for both of you.
- Look for exceptions, people who are attending the learning & development. What is different about their work? How are they able to find time to apply the development? What is the relationship like with their direct manager?
- What would happen if you stopped mandating training & made it optional?
- Investigate the coaching & value add of the direct manager of the person attending the learning & development.
Most people will ask for training because they think that’s what’s needed.
You can enforce attendance, and you cannot enforce learning and application, that has to be a part of the company.