Meeting with a Chief Operations Officer of a Health Care Organization, whose team I have been consulting and coaching.
We are working to create clearer definition of goals (QQT/R); accountability & authority of managers; create stability in an uncertain and changing environment; plus institute a Succession and Talent Pool Development plan – it is really fun work.
He asked, “Mike are there some questions I should be asking the directors at the monthly check-in meetings, just to ensure that we are moving together and that we stay on target for our annual and 3 year strategic goals?”
YES, yes there is…and these questions can be cascaded through the organization. Creating a shared language that is known and expected from everyone in the department.
6 Coaching Questions for Managers & Teams
- What’s the goal that you’re working towards?
- What progress have you made so far? 0—1—2—3—4—5—6—7—8—9—10 – with 10 being you have achieved the goal and 0 being the opposite, where are you right now?
- What have you already accomplished that you are proud of?
- Looking at where you are now, and what you have accomplished, what is your next step?
- What do you expect to have happen when you take the next step?
- When can we meet again and share what you have done, have learned, and accomplished?